Within the framework of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals in terms of “No Poverty”, “Good Health and Well-being”, “Affordable Energy”, “Economic Growth”, “Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure” and “Partnerships for the goals”, the TWAS Young Affiliates Network (TYAN) organizes the 4th TYAN International Thematic Workshop and 1st African Symposium on "Big Data, Analytics and Machine Intelligence for Financial, Health and Environmental Inclusion in Developing Countries" to be hosted by the Federal University of Technology, Akure, Nigeria in partnership with TWAS Sub-Saharan Africa Regional Partner (TWAS-SAREP), the Nigeria Computer Society (NCS) Ondo State Chapter and Nigerian Young Academy (NYA).
The Symposium and workshop are aimed at providing a platform to increase knowledge in Big Data, Analytics and Machine Intelligence, and exploring how these techniques could be utilized to provide solutions and build multidisciplinary and international collaborations. The main goals of the events are to:
- Provide a platform for interactions and exchange ideas among young scientists.
- Gain knowledge of the current status of research and build capacity for researchers in Big Data, Analytics and Machine Intelligence for Financial, Health and Environmental Inclusion
- Identify niche areas of Big Data, Analytics and Machine Intelligence research that could result in cross-border scientific collaborations.
- Initiate collaborations to address financial, health and environmental inclusion in the developing world vis-a-vis the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the impact of Data Analytics on Sustainable Development
- Mathematical and Statistical Foundations of Big Data Analytics
- Advances in Machine Learning and their applications for financial inclusion
- Bioinformatics and Genome Sequencing for Health Related Applications
- Big Data Analytics for prediction and applications in Medicine, Environmental Modelling, E-Commerce applications, E-Governance and Smart Energy.
- Deep Learning Techniques for Information Filtering and Extraction
The symposium scheduled for June 10-11 is open to Senior and Young scientists from
TYAN, Nigeria, and the African region. Also, international experts will be invited to
present specific aspects of their work according to the thematic areas. It will include
Keynote, Plenary, oral presentations, Posters, Panel discussions and Exhibitions. It will
also include a panel discussion of selected speakers and invited exhibitor companies.
The workshop scheduled for June 12-15 June is open to PhD students and Postdocs,
as well as early career researchers from public institutions and private sectors with
evidence of research experience on the workshop theme.
Feeding,accommodation and travel grants (selected) will be available to workshop participants who will also be required to attend the Symposium and share their research results.
Sponsoring and partnering organisation